Powered by momentummedia
nestegg logo
Powered by momentummedia
nestegg logo
nestegg logo

Resources

What does the job sector look like in Australia?

By Louise Chan · February 04 2020
Reading:
egg
egg
Job sector in Australia

What does the job sector look like in Australia?

author image
By Louise Chan · February 04 2020
Reading:
egg
egg
Job sector in Australia
Click here to enlarge

[INFOGRAPHIC] The Australian job sector saw a boost in FY 2016-17, with the majority of regions reporting an increase in jobs compared with the previous financial year.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), jobs have increased in 84.6 per cent of 2,288 regions in FY 2016-17. 

The total number of jobs increased by 3.6 per cent compared with FY 2015-16.

There were 19,166,420 available jobs across Australia, with 13,535,414 employed persons. The upsurge in employment may be due to the 2.1 million people – about 15.6 per cent of the employed population – who have multiple jobs.

ABS data showed that, among the 19.2 million jobs, 74.8 per cent (14.3 million) were private sector jobs, while the remaining 17 per cent (3.2 million) were public sector jobs.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Furthermore, 89.5 per cent accounted for employees, while the remaining 10.5 per cent accounted for owner managers.

Job demographics

Of the total number of jobs, men held 9,958,718, while women held 9,207,702.

The 25-29 age group had the highest number of employee jobs – with 2.6 million jobs recorded.

Males slightly outnumbered female employees in the above age group, with 52.2 per cent and 47.8 per cent, respectively.

However, females outnumbered males when it comes to holding multiple jobs. ABS data showed that females account for 53.7 per cent of the 2.1 million multiple job holders for FY 2016-17.

Income per job

The total employment income recorded in FY 2016-17 reached $801 billion – a 3.1 per cent increase from the previous year.

Median employment income per job was at $52,676 annually for males – nearly $18,000 higher compared with females, whose median income per job was at $34,862.

Job occupations and industries

Professionals made up much of the employed population in FY 2016-17 at 18.2 per cent, followed by clerical and administrative workers at 11.5 per cent and managers at 10.7 per cent.

On the other hand, the healthcare and social assistance industry provided the most number of jobs – with 10.4 per cent of employment opportunities coming from the industry. This is followed by 8.7 per cent in the retail trade and 8.6 per cent in the administrative and support services.

Be better informed. Explore nestegg for more facts and statistics.

Forward this article to a friend. Follow us on Linkedin. Join us on Facebook. Find us on Twitter for the latest updates
Rate the article
author image

About the author

Louise is a content producer for Momentum Media’s nestegg who likes keeping up-to-date with all the ways people can work towards financial stability in 2019. She also enjoys turning complex information into easy-to-digest, practical tips to help those who want to achieve financial independence.

Join The Nest Egg community

We Translate Complicated Financial Jargon Into Easy-To-Understand Information For Australians

Your email address will be shared with nestegg and subject to our Privacy Policy

About the author

Louise is a content producer for Momentum Media’s nestegg who likes keeping up-to-date with all the ways people can work towards financial stability in 2019. She also enjoys turning complex information into easy-to-digest, practical tips to help those who want to achieve financial independence.

Join The Nest Egg community

We Translate Complicated Financial Jargon Into Easy-To-Understand Information For Australians

Your email address will be shared with nestegg and subject to our Privacy Policy

From the web

Recommended by Spike Native Network

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.