Powered by momentummedia
nestegg logo
Powered by momentummedia
Powered by momentummedia
nestegg logo
nestegg logo

 

 

Invest

Low rates offer global real estate opportunities

  • January 07 2020
  • Share

Invest

Low rates offer global real estate opportunities

By Cameron Micallef
January 07 2020

The resilience of global economies and accommodative central banks around the world are tipped to spur on the housing market, according to economists.

Commercial property

Low rates offer global real estate opportunities

author image
  • January 07 2020
  • Share

The resilience of global economies and accommodative central banks around the world are tipped to spur on the housing market, according to economists.

Commercial property

Dr Indraneel Karlekar, global head of research and strategy at Principal Real Estate Investors, believes combined economic factors are making commercial real estate attractive for investors.

“Slow growth and an accommodative global central banking policy regime should create a conducive environment for real estate investment strategies.” 

“Since supply is expected to remain modest by historic standards, a not too hot, not too cold economic environment should allow owners to continue pushing rents above inflation,” Dr Karlekar explained. 

The researcher said a volatile global market, including global tensions between the US and China, can have a positive impact on real estate investors.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Noting a 70 per cent probability of expanding over the next 12 months – but says there is a 30 per cent probability of global recession – Dr Karlekar said central banks will do whatever it takes to accommodate growth.

“Central banks are not likely to rush the removal of monetary accommodation and, thus, keep low interest rates in place, which support property valuations. When coupled with the ongoing demand for income, commercial real estate should remain an attractive choice within the suite of global options investors consider in 2020", Dr Karlekar said.

Finally, Dr Karlekar discussed how changing demographics will provide further opportunities for real estate investors. 

“The way people live and work will evolve and offer real estate investors multidimensional opportunities to meet growing space needs.”

The market is tipped to be impacted by new policy as well as demand drivers such as mobility, affordability and advances in technology, according to Dr Karlekar.

“Investors that recognise the multiple layers and nuances of global demographic changes and adopt a flexible approach to meeting this changing need will find success in long-term strategies that harness one of the greatest structural shifts of the 21st century,” he concluded.

Low rates offer global real estate opportunities
Commercial property
nestegg logo

Forward this article to a friend. Follow us on Linkedin. Join us on Facebook. Find us on Twitter for the latest updates
Rate the article

About the author

author image

Cameron is a journalist for Momentum Media's nestegg and Smart Property Investment. He enjoys giving Aussies practical financial tips and tricks to help grow their wealth and achieve financial independence. As a self-confessed finance nerd, Cameron enjoys chatting with industry experts and commentators to leverage their insights to grow your portfolio.

About the author

Cameron is a journalist for Momentum Media's nestegg and Smart Property Investment. He enjoys giving Aussies practical financial tips and tricks to help grow their wealth and achieve financial independence. As a self-confessed finance nerd, Cameron enjoys chatting with industry experts and commentators to leverage their insights to grow your portfolio.

more on this topic

more on this topic

From the web

Recommended by Spike Native Network

More articles

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.