Powered by momentummedia
nestegg logo
Powered by momentummedia
nestegg logo
nestegg logo

Borrow

Another major bank flags remediation-related profit hit

By Grace Ormsby · October 24 2019
Reading:
egg

Borrow

Another major bank flags remediation-related profit hit

By Grace Ormsby
October 24 2019
Reading:
egg
Profit hit

Another major bank flags remediation-related profit hit

author image
By Grace Ormsby · October 24 2019
Reading:
egg
Profit hit

Westpac has announced that its cash earnings for the second half of 2019 will take a $341 million hit, thanks to customer remediation programs.

The big four bank said approximately 72 per cent of the impact relates directly to customer payments that are inclusive of interest, while the remaining 28 per cent relates to the costs associated with running remediation programs.

Of the total impact on cash earnings, $168 million will be designations associated with financial advice, while $109 million will be allocated to provisions associated with interest-only loans that did not automatically switch over to principal and interest loans when they were required to.

For Westpac CEO Brian Hartzer, “a key priority in 2019 has been to deal with outstanding remediation issues and refund customers as quickly as possible”.

“The additional provisions announced today are part of that commitment.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

Forming part of Westpac’s “get it right, put it right” initiative, the CEO said: “We are determined to fix these issues and stop these errors occurring.”

“We will continue to review our products and services to ensure they deliver the right outcomes for customers, and if necessary, make further provisions,” he continued.

It brings Westpac’s customer remediation bill to $958 million in 2019 alone.

The news comes after NAB indicated it would be setting aside an additional $832 million for remediation-related expenses in the second half of 2019 at the beginning of October. 

Since then, ANZ also announced its 2019 second-half cash profit would be impacted by an additional $559 million for customer-related remediation.

Another major bank flags remediation-related profit hit
Profit hit
nestegg logo

Forward this article to a friend. Follow us on Linkedin. Join us on Facebook. Find us on Twitter for the latest updates
Rate the article
author image

About the author

Grace is a journalist on Momentum Media's nestegg. She enjoys being able to provide easy to digest information and practical tips for Australians with regard to their wealth, as well as having a platform on which to engage leading experts and commentators and leverage their insight.

Join the nestegg community

We Translate Complicated Financial Jargon Into Easy-To-Understand Information For Australians

Your email address will be shared with nestegg and subject to our Privacy Policy

About the author

Grace is a journalist on Momentum Media's nestegg. She enjoys being able to provide easy to digest information and practical tips for Australians with regard to their wealth, as well as having a platform on which to engage leading experts and commentators and leverage their insight.

Join The Nest Egg community

We Translate Complicated Financial Jargon Into Easy-To-Understand Information For Australians

Your email address will be shared with nestegg and subject to our Privacy Policy

From the web

Recommended by Spike Native Network

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.